Some days it really pays to sort through old files. This afternoon, I found a stack of love letters and cards from my late husband, Alex.
He wrote an especially beautiful letter at a point during our courtship when I was going through a really rough patch at work. I thought you might find his words as comforting-and inspirational–as I did. Both then, and now:
I send you my affection and love to be with you….keep us close together during the trying times….calling on our total energies to help you through….but also call on our combined energies and love when it is time to celebrate at the high times of each day – there should be at least 8 celebrations each day….
- When you awake…to another day, the purr of a cat, to the sneeze of [the dog], to the song of birds or to the first ray of sunlight.
- Sipping a cup of tea, munching on a crust of toast, peanut butter or crunching a dry cereal for breakfast.
- Taking a walk in the out-of-doors regardless of snow, rain, sleet, sun, or cottonwood seeds gliding down to earth, smelling the scents of earth, water, cut grass, sweat of a horse, after shave lotion, fresh dab of perfume or baby oil.
- Greetings from friends, acquaintances, students, strangers, passer-bys, your own image reflected in a mirror or storefront window. Surprize….being alive to all which surrounds you each moment in each day.
- Listening and hearing the sounds of your own voice…talking, yelling, singing, laughing, whispering.
- Touching…oh so many objects, people, animals, buildings, your car, a flower, a caterpillar, the wine in your goblet, the lips of your lover….your own body….with pride, delight and passion.
- To be emotional….full range and depth…no limit…full limit…restrained and then abounding…internal and external-Yeah! Take it in…Give and let it out….Human and Full of Life.
- To sleep and rest after a fantasy called life which has been experienced….throughout each day.
That my Mary Is what you do! Each and Every day of your creative and beautiful life. Celebrate the existence of yourself with each and every living creature-
I too will celebrate life with you….each day and each moment of that day-
I enjoy spending these seconds with you.
* Originally published 12/8/2008